Swinton Country Club & Spa
Swinton Country Club and Spa was cited as being one of the most significant destination spa openings of 2017 in the UK. Pulling in to the car park it’s not difficult to see why.
The brand new £8m spa has been developed on the 20,000 acre Swinton Estate near Masham, Yorkshire, which already offers a host of amenities for those seeking serious recreation.
Facilities are available to guests of the estates’ 32 room castle hotel, club members and day visitors. What has been created is simply delightful.
The contemporary new structures of the spa integrate seamlessly with the existing estate buildings. Wildflowers and vegetation within the walled gardens are never far from sight, expect lots of deep breathing as the surroundings make their mark on the soul.
Muted colours and textures assist the setting. Outdoor, the pool is unheated bio-filtered natural water. Terrace beds are covered in sheepskins and luxurious blankets with hot water bottles for colder months and heaters above for extra warmth.
Indoors is an 18 metre pool for swimming and classes…
and hidden from view a hydrotherapy pool for therapeutic bathing with massage features.
A first-floor suite offers Elemis and Bamford treatments with three restorative rooms for post-treatment relaxation. I choose the darkened water-bed room and sip on a tea infusion, this really isn’t a place you want to leave.
The Terrace Restaurant is also a brand new edition to the estate. The food here was simply exquisite. Nourishing fresh dishes are made from local produce, much of it grown in the estate’s 4-acre walled garden (which also happens to be the largest hotel kitchen garden in the UK.)
Wellness day menus have been designed for De-Stress, Recovery and Detox, so that spa guests can link their nutritional wellness with their treatments. Our lunch was hands down the meal of the year for me; the flavours at play were quite frankly out of this world.
At a glance:
- Nine treatment rooms including two couple’s rooms
- 18 metre indoor swimming pool
- A hydrotherapy pool for therapeutic bathing
- Aroma Steam Bath – for deep muscular relaxation and detoxification
- Salt Steam Room – for salt inhalation, for breathing, sleeping and allergy issues.
- Finnish sauna in an aromatic wood cabin
- Alfresco herbal sauna with wood burner and rustic relaxation space
- 10-metre outdoor natural water swimming pool and hot tub
- Poolside terrace – for all year relaxation – with infra-red heaters and sheepskins for winter warmth
- Fitness facilities include a Pulse Gym, combining static machines with functional fitness, as well as a group exercise studio offering a full range of seasonal classes and workshops from yoga and Pilates to spinning and circuits.
Day Spa rates from £155 for one person and £250 for two people (which includes treatments and lunch – very good value for money).
The Swinton Estate also offers: a cookery school, glamping (Swinton Bivouac), plus outdoor activities which include shooting, fishing, golf, and horse riding.
Find out more: